The fourth edition (on which this edition is based) of The Divine Companion was published by Henry Playford in 1722. It was a seminal publication in being the first anthology of church music to include anthems intended for amateur rather than professional singers, who might have no organ or other keyboard accompaniment. It gave rise to the whole genre of what has become known as West Gallery music. No images of Henry have come down to us, neither is there any church with which he was particularly associated. Henry’s chosen music is in three or two parts, or for unison singing. Many modern church choirs are short of male singers, and will find useful music which does not require the more usual four parts. The edition is practical rather than critical.